Saturday 1 September 2012

Self-determination

Today I asked my Grade 10 class to write their own rubric for the creative assignments I had given them.  I gave them an example, explained our new grading policy of Mastery (A), Proficient (B), Competent (C) and Partially Competent (D), explained how Proficient is being able to tick all the boxes but Mastery has a special something that lifts it above the proficient and they have to define what that special something is and said, "OK, you guys have handed in tons of assignments before, I think you know what makes top quality work and what doesn't.  Go into groups based on the assignment you chose and put together a rubric".  I was really impressed by the collaboration I saw and the results.
I had decided that if they couldn't come up with a good rubric I would use it anyway and then we could ask the questions, "What is wrong with this?  What are we really looking for?"
The thing I took away with me, though, was one girl who could not believe I would use the rubric they designed.  She asked, "Will you really use this?  You won't change it in anyway?" in several different ways. I assured her I would and even wrote the rubric into a google doc while she watched, ready to use next week.  But, how sad that she would think I would waste their time by designing a rubric and then discount it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment