Friday 21 January 2011

Who Wants to be a Millionaire

I watched Slumdog Millionaire for the first time on Monday and I loved the idea behind it of how the answers to the questions reveal the character's life and the complexities of India in a creative way.
So, perhaps rather ambitiously, I decided we would try it as a class in our writing lesson today.  I have been playing around with how to do it most of this week and I finally settled on showing them a clip from the original show, then a clip from Slumdog to explain the premise, then gave them examples of questions and answers.  I thought thinking up questions would be too difficult and as that was not the purpose of the exercise, thought it better to provide some ideas although they were free to change/modify/create new ones. Then I asked them to think about how they could create stories from the question/answer.
I'm not sure how well it really worked - it seemed to be a bigger leap than I thought for them.  I still think the idea has potential but maybe I need to scaffold it differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment